Fitness influencer Ursula Mullen shares her favorite post-workout meal, her must-have fitness items and advice for those who are new to working out. Catch her in SEEN’s fashion fitness shoot at the Beverly Hills Club.
By Chelsie Dzbanski
Featured photo by Hayden Stinebaugh
1. Tell us about your professional background. I worked three years in commercial real estate doing property acquisitions for national retailers like Starbucks, T-Mobile, Aspen Dental, etc. I left the real estate world to pursue my passion for fitness and work on my own fitness concept.
2. How did you become interested in fitness? Freshman year of college! I decided to hit the gym every morning and meet people that way.
3. Can you tell us about your wellness company and the services you offer? My fitness concept and wellness brand is currently my main focus, and I should be announcing details this year. I can’t wait to share!
4. What does a typical day look like for you? I have a morning routine that consists of meditation, stretching, devotional and lemon apple cider vinegar water. I usually get my workout in mid morning and time block the rest of my day for creating content, shooting and editing my YouTube videos, working on my fitness concept, meal prepping, managing my home and being a wife! I also casually look for real estate acquisition opportunities to keep myself updated with the industry.
5. What is your go-to workout routine? I love working out separate muscle groups at Pulse Fitness with a combination of free weights and machines, very little cardio. Love adding yoga classes and SLT (megaformer Pilates) to keep it interesting.
6. Favorite post-workout meal or snack? Anything high carb. Post workout is your prime time to absorb food as you have depleted your glycogen stores! Usually a protein shake with carbohydrate powder followed by a full meal one hour later. The combination of both are so important, unless you are able to eat a full meal within 30 minutes of finishing your workout.
7. How do you find balance between working, staying fit and life? I wouldn’t do it without a planner and making the exercise a routine: a day without moving isn’t a good one. This way, my health comes first and everything else goes around it. Then everything just becomes better (my mood, my energy, my drive).
9. Fueling your body is important when it comes to fitness. What does a typical healthy meal look like for you? A high-quality protein source (grass-fed grass-finished beef, free-range chicken and eggs, wild-caught fish, lamb, etc.), any organic vegetable or veggie mix and a carb source like rice.
Now on to style…
10. Three words to describe your personal style? A blend of sporty, classic and business.
11. Your must-have fitness item and why? My Buffr, which is an engagement ring protector, so I can workout and not scratch it.
Mini resistance bands for warming up my glutes before a leg workout or supplement during the workout. Activation movements are as important as the workout itself.
Versa Gripps to protect my wrists and hands when doing back workouts. These will never leave my gym bag. They take the pressure off your wrist and allow you to focus on the muscle being worked on. So many more!
12. Can you share some of your favorite fitness brands and why you love them? Adidas always has my heart, specially for shoes. NMDs are so cute, and the colors are amazing. Gymshark is my favorite for flattering, trendy and functional (quality too!) workout clothes without breaking the bank.
Lululemon sports bras and their Align leggings are a must in my wardrobe for comfortable and long-lasting pieces.
Carbon38 is always trendy and has options for outside of the gym too for activities like skiing.
13. Items you can’t leave home without? AirPods, lip balm and hair ties.
Your Local Love List…
14. Your current go-to spot for breakfast, lunch and dinner? San Morello, inside the Shinola Hotel. They are amazing.
15. Favorite place to work-out? Pulse Fitness.
16. Your favorite place to shop locally in Metro Detroit? Jaus in Birmingham and Eastern Market for food!
17. When not at the gym or working, where can we find you? I’m always moving, but somewhere like the living room at Shinola, Dessert Oasis, Be Well Lifestyle Center in Birmingham and CryoSpa Detroit on Woodward. During the summer I’m most likely at Detroit Golf Club.
18. Can you share any advice for someone who is new to working out and trying to live a healthy lifestyle? I do not care how many workouts you try, how many diets you are excited about, if you aren’t committed to yourself and have a schedule and a plan, you will fail. Make weekly goals, then monthly, and check in with yourself every two months. It’s a journey. Also, nothing wrong with getting a few new friends that are already in the fitness journey. They will be so important to keep pushing you forward.
19. What is your New Year’s resolution(s) for 2019? Gain 10 pounds of muscle mass, maintain a consistent stretch and meditation schedule, get creative with my meal prep recipes, don’t miss golf during the summer if I am in town and read more books.
20. Favorite quote or words to live by?
Why live an ordinary life, when you can live an extraordinary one.
Stay committed to your decisions, but stay flexible in your approach.
Trade your expectations for appreciation and the world changes for you.
Follow Ursula on Instagram at @urmullenhealth for all things fitness, wellness advice and style inspiration.