Amanda Callaway, manager of One of a Find in Novi, shares how they find one-of-a-kind home décor pieces, 2019 design trends and more. Shop One of a Find products on the SEEN Marketplace.
By Rachel Schostak
1. Tell us about your store and when it opened? Craig opened the store almost five years ago after spending a lifetime in the furniture business. Having created various relationships with a multitude of furniture manufacturers all over the world, he had a particular affinity for the unique, handcrafted items that he often came across in his travels. He wanted to bring these items together in one location to create an eclectic and unique showroom, allowing customers to find the statement pieces for their home that they wouldn’t find elsewhere. Our store acts as a showroom for our one-of-a-kind imported pieces and a design center for our clients.
I started as a customer. I loved shopping here and enjoyed the style of the store — I was toying with heading back to work once both my kids were in school, and I happened to notice the store was looking to expand the staff. I applied and here I am! I have a background in design and management. It’s been a fun adventure and a great creative outlet.
2. Two words to describe the store? Unique and eclectic.
3. When and what inspired you to get into this business? The love of interior design, with the opportunity to incorporate such unique and special pieces into the Detroit area.
4. Most valuable lesson you’ve learned in your role? Plan for the worst, expect the best.
5. What does a typical day look like for you? I interact with our interior designers, supporting them with whatever they need for their clients. We are a small store so our customer service is very important. I am constantly contacting our vendors and manufacturers, keeping all the orders on track, giving our designers the most up-to-date information to share with clients. I spend a good part of the day making sure the showroom is set up with the best accessories, furniture and lighting. We try to go to as many of the big markets as possible to outfit the store in the most up-and-coming home interior design trends, while catering to our specific clientele. I also have the pleasure of meeting with the artists we feature in the store; I always love those interactions. I always feel so inspired by creativity.
6. Who inspires you in the interior design world? My biggest influence is my love of travel. I’m a big fan of several of the design shows that are on television, and I love how the designers’ personalities are reflected in the homes they design for their clients. I’d pick Thom Filicia and Leanne Ford as my favorite right now.
7. What do you love most about your role as One of a Find’s manager? Helping people create a space that they love. Nothing better than a happy customer.
8. What is One of a Find’s store mission? Our mission is to bring handcrafted, unique pieces of furniture and accessories to our clients in the Metro Detroit area. Our imported pieces can’t be found anywhere else. Each item is handcrafted and is solely unique, and once a piece leaves the store, you may never see it again. We hope that our customers feel welcomed and excited when they see the unique, diverse pieces in our store. Our store is always evolving, and we hope that every time they come in, they find something new to be excited about.
10. Do you have a signature style that you gravitate toward? These days, I gravitate toward an eclectic modern look. My life is so busy with kids and my career that when I come home, I want to feel relaxed. I like the simplicity that modern design offers with a contemporary spin on color and style.
11. A few pieces in your home that you can’t live without? Comfortable chairs, mid-century credenza and my family.
12. What are your favorite 2019 home design trends? Deeply colored velvets and curved sofas. I’m glad color is back, and gray is out.
13. Favorite design, lifestyle, food or business blog, magazine or Instagram account? I love them all! I like to see everyone’s design tastes. I follow as many styles and points of view as I can to stay inspired. My Pinterest account has about 1 million pins!
Your Local Love List…
14. Favorite places to shop? I love a good vintage store and a flea market!
15. Favorite place to eat? Anything Asian! My daughter’s favorite place Shiro.
16. Favorite quote or words to live by? “Life is change; Growth is optional: Choose wisely!”
Shop our favorite One of a Find products on the SEEN Marketplace:
SHOP: Archer bar car, $549
SHOP: Commuter bicycle table, $799
SHOP: Braden leather chair, $1,200
Read more SEEN Store Spotlights: