This dip will win over the stomach of any fan with the munchies.
By Rosemarie Aquilina
Photography by Derrick Martinez
This appetizer fools guests: It looks like pizza, but it’s a dip. When there is a large gathering at my house, I make a shrimp plate and a crab plate; if it is a smaller gathering I use one platter and make half shrimp and half crab. It’s pretty on any table and an outstanding addition for all occasions from tailgates to holidays.
Shrimp and Crab Dip
1 8-ounce block cream cheese, room temperature
1 tablespoon real mayonnaise
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
Dash salt or salt substitute
3 shakes Worcestershire sauce
3 shakes Tabasco sauce
1 12-ounce bottle cocktail sauce (or 1 12-ounce bottle chili sauce with 1/3 jar horseradish)
2 cans small cleaned deveined shrimp (dice shrimp from one can and use whole shrimps from the second) rinsed in cold water and drained well
1 to 2 cans crabmeat, rinsed and drained well
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish, about ½ cup or as desired
Mix first six ingredients in mixer until well blended. Taste and adjust flavor. (If making two platters, double the base ingredients, mixing all at once and divide between two platters.) At this point, you can refrigerate to allow flavors to blend, if desired, or spread and then refrigerate, or simply proceed. Letting the flavors blend a few hours works well, but it is flavorful enough to eat soon after you make it.
Place mixture in center of 12-inch round plate. With back of a spoon or frosting knife spread over the plate almost to the edge. Spread about ¾ of the jar of cocktail sauce evenly using the back of a clean spoon or butter knife. Use more if needed.
Dice shrimp from the first can and spread evenly. This ensures every bite has a nice taste of shrimp. Then, with the second can, spread the whole tiny shrimp evenly around the plate.
If using crab, sprinkle evenly over cocktail sauce followed by parsley.
Finish sprinkling fresh parsley over all. Serve with a variety of crackers.
If this is your only appetizer, you may want to make a backup. It goes quickly!
Have a cooking question for Judge Aquilina? Leave your question in the comments below!
- Rosemarie’s Recipes:Asparagus Gruyere Tart
- Rosemarie’s Recipes: Creative Cannoli Apps
- Rosemarie’s Recipes: Sweet Chicken Marsala
- Rosemarie’s Recipes: Taco Salad and Side Dips
- Rosemarie’s Recipes: Strawberry Pound Cake and Frozen Faux Banana Split
- A Woman SEEN Making an Impact: Rosemarie Aquilina
- Rosemarie’s Recipes: 3 Appetizers for Holiday Gatherings
- Rosemarie’s Recipes: Stuffed Mushrooms
- Rosemarie’s Recipes: Lemon Cheesecake Topped with Fruit
- Rosemarie’s Recipes: Beer Bread and Beef with Beer Sauce
- Rosemarie’s Recipes: Ricotta Pancakes and Coffee Flavored Whipped Cream