Ditch the latte and get your pumpkin spice fix this season with these irresistible pumpkin pie bars.
By Rosemarie Aquilina
Photography by Derrick Martinez
When fall arrives, I think pumpkin. I make everything pumpkin and like to use fresh pie pumpkins. There are recipes where canned pumpkin is easier and just as tasty. My sister-in-law, Susan, brought these Pumpkin Pie Bars 20 years ago to a gathering, and they instantly became a regular family holiday dessert alongside pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread and muffins.
Pumpkin Pie Bars
1 cup sugar
1 ½ cups butter, room temperature
4 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
Blend the above in a bowl and set aside 2 cups. Divide remainder and press with the bottom of a flat glass into two lightly greased 9-by-13-inch baking pans. Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes.
(For thicker filling you can make 1 ½ times or double and then adjust baking time. Or use a slightly smaller baking pans.)
5 eggs, slightly beaten
1 ½ cups brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 29-ounce can pumpkin puree
1 1/3 cups canned evaporated milk
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 ½ teaspoons nutmeg
½ teaspoon cloves
½ teaspoon ginger
Combine above using mixer and pour over crust, dividing evenly into both pans. Bake 25 minutes.
Remove from oven. Divide remaining crumbs and sprinkle 1 cup over the top of each evenly.
Bake 15-20 minutes. Test with a knife. If it comes out clean it is ready.
Cool. Cut into squares. Serve on a platter plain or with whipped cream and/or ice cream. I think these taste better the next day because the spices have time to blend. I have family members who prefer these warm with ice cream.
Store covered in refrigerator.
Have a cooking question for Judge Aquilina? Leave your question in the comments below!
- Rosemarie’s Recipes: Shrimp and Crab Dip
- Rosemarie’s Recipes: Asparagus Gruyere Tart
- Rosemarie’s Recipes: Creative Cannoli Apps
- Rosemarie’s Recipes: Sweet Chicken Marsala
- Rosemarie’s Recipes: Taco Salad and Side Dips
- Rosemarie’s Recipes: Strawberry Pound Cake and Frozen Faux Banana Split
- A Woman SEEN Making an Impact: Rosemarie Aquilina
- Rosemarie’s Recipes: 3 Appetizers for Holiday Gatherings
- Rosemarie’s Recipes: Stuffed Mushrooms
- Rosemarie’s Recipes: Lemon Cheesecake Topped with Fruit
- Rosemarie’s Recipes: Beer Bread and Beef with Beer Sauce
- Rosemarie’s Recipes: Ricotta Pancakes and Coffee Flavored Whipped Cream