Bloomfield Hills dancer Coco DelSignore modeled a ballerina-style dress made out of SEEN magazines for our June art issue. We asked about her dancing career and what it was like to wear a dress made out of paper!
By Stephanie Steinberg
Photography by Boswell Hardwick
Name: Coco DelSignore
Hometown: Bloomfield Hills
High School: Clonlara School in Ann Arbor
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself. I love dancing and acting. I take pop vocal lessons, as well as opera. I’m currently working on releasing an EP and plan on recording something with my brother, Ryder, who records rap music.
2. What age did you start dancing? 9
3. What type of dance do you specialize in? I train in pointe ballet as well as all other types of dance: jazz, tap, contemporary, hip hop.
4. Where have you trained locally? Dance Dynamics Performing Arts Center in Walled Lake.
5. How many hours a week do you practice?I train in the pre-professional program about 20 to 30 hours a week.
6. Where are some of your favorite places you’ve performed? Skirball Center for the Performing Arts in New York City for Bright Lights Shining Stars honoring Ann Reinking.
7. If you could perform on any stage in the world, what would it be? Definitely, Broadway!
8. Do you have a dancer role model? Holly Cruikshank
9. What school will you attend next year, and what do you plan to study? Point Park University in Pittsburgh for a BFA in dance.
10. What’s your favorite part about dancing? Expressing myself through dance is a unique experience and varies depending on interpretation.
11. Do you have any upcoming performances? All my performances in June will be in New York.
12. What was it like wearing a dress made out of SEEN Magazines? I wanted to keep the dress! It’s so fun and flirty.
13. What are some of your favorite places to shop in Metro Detroit? Capricious in Grosse Pointe Farms and Dolce Moda in Birmingham.
14. Favorite place to grab coffee, brunch, lunch and dinner? Any Bigalora for lunch or brunch and, of course, Bacco for dinner.
15. Favorite quote or words to live by? “With open eyes I see the world. With an open heart I see the souls. And with an open mind I see it all differently.” — R. M. Drake
Read how designer Matthew Richmond makes dresses out of paper in the June art issue.