SEEN caught up with Kim and Paul W. Smith at Joe Muer Seafood in Bloomfield Hills to talk all things style, marriage and charity.
By Rachel Schostak
Photography by Allison Farrand
SEEN caught up with Kim and Paul W. Smith, 56 and 65, respectively, at one of their favorite local date-night spots: Joe Muer Seafood in Bloomfield Hills. The Grosse Pointe couple chatted about their marriage of nearly seven years, charities they love to support and who inspires their personal style.
1. Tell us about your professional and community involvement. We work together every day. Paul has a morning radio talk show that allows us the opportunity to arise together each day at 4 a.m. We are both very involved with raising money and awareness for a number of charities including the Paul W. Smith Golf Classic to benefit children’s charities. Recipients include Detroit PAL, Variety – the Children’s Charity, The Children’s Center, the newly added Children’s Hospital of Michigan Foundation and lastly Alzheimer’s Association. It’s a cause near to my heart, as I lost my father to this disease five years ago. Raising awareness, participating in walks, and donating to research are just a few of our contributions to this worthy cause.
2. Since this is our wedding issue, can you tell us about your wedding and where you were married? We were married at our good friend’s Mara and Ambassador Yousif Ghafari’s magnificent Bloomfield Hills home — the site of our first date together. Yousif and Mara provided a beautiful, fairy tale wedding that was officiated by our friend, the Honorable Judge Fred Mester.
3. How did the two of you meet? Mutual friends introduced us, and we’ve been inseparable ever since.
4. Kim, three words to describe Paul? Sensitive. Funny. Philanthropic.
5. Paul, three words to describe Kim? Genuine. Loving. Beautiful.
6. In your opinion, the key to a successful marriage is____? Both: Constant communication and mutual respect. Never underestimate the magic of those three little words: “You’re right, honey.”
Now on to your style …
7. Kim, you are very chic! Three words to describe your personal style? Simple. Classic. Tailored.
Head-to-toe Outfit Details:
Paul W. is wearing a Cicchini Custom Clothier of Birmingham suit.
Kim is wearing Ahee Jewelers jewelry and Chanel purse.
10. Kim, who inspires your style? My mother and Coco Chanel.
11. Paul, who inspires your style? One day I’d love to look as good as: Ambassador Yousif Ghafari, Bud Denker, Roger Penske, Tom Celani and Ray Scott.
12. Kim, what’s one item you can’t leave home without? My purse.
13. Paul, you’re never fully dressed without_____? My wedding ring.
14. Kim, you’re never fully dressed without_____? My wedding ring.
15. Where are a few places you both enjoy shopping locally? Ahee Jewelers and Fresh Farms Market in Grosse Pointe. Sunday Farmer’s Market in Birmingham. Somerset Collection and Great Lakes Crossing. When in Ann Arbor, Victor’s Collection/M-Den, Zingerman’s and Maison Edwards Tabacconist Shop in the Nickels Arcade.
Your Local Love List…
17. Any other local places the two of you enjoy going together? Emagine Theatre, Churchill’s, Detroit Athletic Club and Country Club of Detroit.
18. Your current go-to for breakfast, lunch or dinner? Our favorite “go-to” meal: The rare opportunity when we have a night at home cooking or grilling together.
19. Kim, we would love to know if anything catches your eye on our SEEN Marketplace? Supernatural Lingerie — I love their gorgeous silk pajamas and robes.
SHOP: Huntress robe
20. Your favorite quote or words to live by?
Paul: “Make each and every day count…Each day is a gift.”
“The harder I work, the luckier I get.”
Kim: “The most beautiful thing a girl can wear is a smile.”
“If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.” — Maya Angelou
And in the words of our friend Emily Gail: Don’t forget to “Say Nice Things About Detroit!”