Cars, coffee and the Bee Gees.
By Rachel Schostak
Photos by Rachel Schostak and Jaclyn Trop
Jaclyn Trop is an award-winning journalist who travels the world reporting for the automotive industry. She gets paid to drive cars that most auto-enthusiasts only dream about. The job requires traveling to some of the world’s most incredible locations, too, so it’s not often that Jaclyn is back in the Detroit area.
When I heard she would be in town for the North American International Auto Show, I jumped at the chance to pick her brain about life, cars and her connection to Detroit through a new series we’re doing called “20 Questions.” As I drove her to Cobo Center for the first day of the show, we grabbed coffee at one of her favorite places, jammed to the Bee Gee’s and stopped to check out some incredible graffiti art.
- Favorite thing about Detroit? Michigan summers — and the people.
- Your go-to spots in Detroit? The DAC (Detroit Athletic Club) and the DIA (Detroit Institute of Arts).
- Your favorite car? McLaren 540C
- Your favorite SUV? Mercedes G550
- If you could live in any time, what would it be and what car would you drive? 2030, Vision-Mercedes Maybach 6
- Most fabulous car you’ve ever driven? Rolls-Royce Dawn along Chapman’s Peak in South Africa
- One thing you always have in your car (besides a cell phone)? Water – Gotta stay hydrated.
- Coolest road trip you’ve ever been on? Driving around the South Island of New Zealand in the McLaren 540C
- Who (living or dead) would you want to drive around with all day and why? I would love to drive with Ben Franklin to get his insight on the future of the car and to chat about life in general.
- What are your go-to driving jams? Any 70s disco. Especially the Bee Gees!
- Do you know how to change a tire? What would you tell someone who doesn’t? Yes, although I haven’t had to yet! Watch some YouTube videos and keep a bottle jack in the car
- What was your first job? Interning at Rolling Stone Australia
- Favorite place you’ve traveled to in 2016? Lisbon, Portugal
- Where would you would like to travel in 2017? Venice, Italy
- Best book you’ve ever read? Magazine of choice? Death in Venice by Thomas Mann. The New Yorker.
- Currently reading? Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future by Ashlee Vance
- Coffee or tea? And from where? Both, from the Townsend in Birmingham
- Favorite movie? Tommy Boy
- What advice would you give your teenage self? Kindness matters
- One thing most people don’t know about you? I am the inspiration for two characters in a screenplay — an obese nihilist and a stone-cold sexagenarian.
Behind the Scenes:
Catch some of our interview in the car driving to Cobo:
Connect with Jaclyn Trop:
Shop Jaclyn’s Auto Show Style: