The Pink Carpet Gala hosted by George the Jeweler is set to be a glamorous evening with celebrities, performances, paparazzi and more.
By Cassie Kunze
We sat down with George Khalife, famously known as “George the Jeweler,” to get to know more about his upcoming event the Pink Carpet Gala and his career as a celebrity jewelry designer.
The gala, sponsored by SEEN, will be held 6 p.m. Oct. 7 at Mandaloun Bistro in Bingham Farms with celebrity appearances, including Christina Milian, Symon, Corinne Olympios and more. Proceeds from the event will benefit the American Cancer Society and Real Men Wear Pink of Metro Detroit. Tickets starting at $150 can be purchased here.
1. You have become widely known as “George The Jeweler.” Did you choose this name for yourself?
I did choose the name myself. It was perfect for branding purposes. I wanted something really simple and really easy to remember. Also catchy enough that if I met someone and tell them what I do, they would still remember the next day. I think that things like that are essential. Especially when it comes to social media and networking.
2. You launched House of Fine Gold in 2017 with Christina Milian. How did you two connect, and what prompted you to work together?
Christina Milian and I connected a few years ago over social media. I then began designing for her, which led to us getting really close. She has truly become another sister to me. I love how down to earth she is, and I love her style. I would say a year or so after we connected we started talking about working on a project together. We started bouncing around ideas back and forth and came up with the initial designs for House of Fine Gold.
3. What was the inspiration for the collection?
I would say that the biggest inspiration for the collection is each other. House of Fine Gold is the combination of both our artistry and styles. Both Christina and I are in positions where we have a lot of people looking to us for style and what’s new. We inspire each other and set the trends.
4. Do you have a favorite piece from the collection right now?
My favorite piece from the collection would have to be the “cross your heart” diamond cross and the different medallions that we have available.
5. What has been the highlight of your career?
Being recognized by Khloé Kardashian (one of the most recognized women in the world) has been the highlight of my career.
6. Who has been your favorite celebrity to work with?
Christina has been by far my favorite celebrity to work with.
7. With a resume as impressive as yours, is there a career goal that you are still working to achieve?
My goal is to be the next David Yurman, a household name jewelry designer. And I will work hard until I achieve that.
8. Your family has been in the jewelry business for generations and owns the largest wholesale jewelry store in the state, Gold Corp Inc. Did you always know you were going to design jewelry?
I did not see myself in the family business at first. I went to College for Creative Studies and studied design. I pursued music for a while. I then realized how much fun I could have with the jewelry business and found a way to make it my own.
9. You were recently announced as the face for Real Men Wear Pink of Metro Detroit by the American Cancer Society. Why is supporting this cause especially important to you?
Cancer affects everyone. It is such a crushing and heartbreaking reality. I truly believe in giving back, and this was a beautiful opportunity to do that.
10. What can attendees expect at The Pink Carpet Gala?
The Pink Carpet Gala is going to be a red carpet event. It will feel like it was taken right out of L.A. and put in Detroit! Paparazzi and all! I am bringing together the best of the best. There will be photo booths, raffles, merchandise, auctions, celebrities, music, dinner, drinks, performances and a lot of fun. Dress to impress in your best red carpet dress!
11. What are you hoping to accomplish from this event?
I am looking to bring friends, family and everyone whose lives have been impacted by cancer, together to raise money so we can one day see an end to cancer.