Treat mom to breakfast in bed this Mother’s Day and whip up this french toast casserole recipe from West Bloomfield blogger Marni Katz
By Marni Katz
French toast is a favorite breakfast food in our house — but not every morning do you want to be standing over the stove dipping and flipping. This recipe makes everything simpler! Make the batter and soak the dish overnight before topping and baking in the morning, allowing mom (or whoever the cook is in your house) a few extra minutes to relax on Mother’s Day.
- 1 ½ cup milk *can use dairy or plant based
- 8 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar
- one loaf leftover challah or other bread
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Prepare a glass baking dish by spraying with non-stick baking spray.
- Tear your challah (or whatever bread you are using) into small pieces.
- Place the pieces of torn challah into the prepared baking dish.
- Whisk together the rest of the ingredients in a medium size bowl.
- Once whisked well, pour over the top of the challah, being sure to saturate the entire dish, pressing down the challah pieces as you go.
- Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and let sit at least two hours, up to 36 hours in the fridge.
When ready to bake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. While the oven preheats, make the topping by adding all the topping ingredients to a small bowl and mixing with a fork until a sandy like consistency forms.
- Evenly distribute the topping over the entire top of the custard and bread mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 10 minutes or so until the topping gets lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes before serving.
For a simple Mother’s Day brunch spread, serve this with a smoked-fish tray, a savory quiche, a big fruit salad, homemade iced coffees & teas. Finish brunch off with a simple dessert like a lemon loaf or banana bread. Happy Mother’s Day!
Marni Katz is the recipe developer, photographer and writer behind Simple Gray T-Shirt. She wants to help people keep things simple in the kitchen. With simple recipes, easy menu ideas and plenty of tips and tricks along the way, she wants getting a meal on the table to be as simple as putting on your favorite gray tee!