Metro Detroit personal trainer Desi Johnson II shares how he got started in fitness, his go-to workout routine and his New Year’s resolution for 2019. Catch him in SEEN’s fitness fashion shoot at the Beverly Hills Club.
By Chelsie Dzbanski
Featured photo by Micheal Lazzara
1. Tell us about your professional background. I am a financial services and fitness professional. I have a dual degree from Michigan State University which is a B.A. in business administration and pre-law. I am also a National Academy of Sports Medicine certified personal trainer and a group fitness instructor. I am an area branch manager of a Metro Detroit financial institution, and I am also the co-owner of Des2Fit LLC along with my brother Carlos Johnson. Des2Fit is a corporate wellness and fitness company that services the Metro Detroit area. We design fitness and health programs that are catered to the busy professional. I am also a fitness model.
2. How did you become interested in fitness? I became interested in fitness as a child. I was very competitive and very active in sports. As a child growing up, fitness was part of my lifestyle. My father was really involved in sports and body building, and it definitely rubbed off on me. When I graduated from college and assimilated into the corporate environment I saw the negative effects of the sedentary lifestyle. I decided to focus my fitness expertise on designing educational and fitness programs for the busy professional.
3. Can you tell us about your personal training experience and what kind of services you offer? I have several years of personal training experience. My expertise is weight loss, weight training, body sculpting, performance, nutrition consulting and strength and conditioning. At Des2Fit we contract our services to local gyms and corporations. We offer fitness seminars, private/group personal training and my signature White Collar Fit Camp. This camp is a fitness program designed for the busy professional. It consists of five different classes designed for all fitness levels: Bootcamp, Cardio Dance, Cardio Sculpt/Kickboxing and Couples/Paired Fitness. We are currently in the process of implementing our online white collar fitness program.
4. What does a typical day look like for you? A typical day for me is relatively busy. I am up by 4:15 a.m. on most days during the week. Normally if I have a morning client I am the gym by 5 a.m. I train generally before my scheduled clients.
After private training I normally arrive at my corporate office by 8 a.m., and I work until 5 p.m. After my 9 to 5, I train my scheduled evening clients. I teach my White Collar Fit Camps on Saturday. I train on Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon. Sunday is my relaxing administration and family day.
5. What is your go-to workout routine? My go-to workouts are high intensity supersets and triple sets. I normally perform a resistance exercise, core and cardio circuit with minimum rest for three to four sets. I complete at least five different circuits.
6. Favorite post-workout meal or snack? My favorite snack is Greek yogurt with mixed berries and granola.
7. How do you find balance between working, personal training and life? It is very hard. To be honest most of my life is work. Fortunately I am passionate about fitness and finance. So it really never feels like I am working because I enjoy my careers. However, I do have to schedule and plan relaxation and family time. I dedicate that to Saturday evenings and most of the day Sunday. But, I am a workaholic.
9. Fueling your body is important when it comes to fitness. What does a typical healthy meal look like for you? Grilled chicken or fish, with sweet potatoes or brown rice and extra green vegetables.
Now on to style…
10. Three words to describe your personal style? Sexy, fit and confident.
11. Your must-have fitness item and why? A fitted shirt. It looks good when you work out.
12. Can you share some of your favorite fitness brands and why you love them ? Nike, Under Armour, Adidas and Lululemon. All quality clothing that fits an athletic build.
13. One item you can’t leave home without? My Beats by Dre. I can not work out without my music.
Your Local love list…
16. Your favorite place to shop locally in Metro Detroit? Somerset mall.
17. When not at the gym or working, where can we find you? Hanging out with my family.
18. Can you share any advice for someone who is new to working out and trying to live a healthy lifestyle? There is a saying, “A dream written down becomes a goal, a goal broken down into steps becomes a plan and a plan backed by action makes your dream come true.” Making a lifestyle change is not an easy transition, but if it is done right your goals and dream can and will be achieved.
19. What is your New Year’s resolution for 2019? My New Year’s resolution is to make more “me” time so that I can have more time to travel the world.
20. Favorite quote or words to live by? “Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do.” — Nelson Mandela