U of M grad and by Jordana founder and designer turned a doodle on her sneakers into a footwear and fashion brand sold across the country.
By Rachel Schostak
1. Short Bio: Jordana Schrager is the owner and designer of by Jordana. She first doodled on a pair of white sneakers in high school and wore them to school the next day. After receiving great feedback and many orders for her custom shoes, by Jordana was born. Today, Jordana has created custom hand-drawn sneakers for people all around the world, including celebrities such as Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, and Nick Cannon and companies such as Taco Bell, Baked by Melissa, Jamba Juice, Bloomingdale’s, Nordstrom, Reebok, and SoulCycle. Jordana has recently expanded her business by creating a mass-produced footwear and fashion line sold online and to retail stores across the country. This line offers a variety of products such as footwear, apparel, and accessories, all designed exclusively #byJordana!
2. Head to Toe Outfit Details: Clothing from ShopMixology.com and paired with my custom by Jordana sneakers!
3. 1 word to describe your style? COLORFUL- I like to put together my outfits with fun pops of color.
4. Accessory or possession you can’t leave home without? My shiny black MZ Wallace pouch that holds all of my paint pens.
5. Best style advice you’ve ever received? Be confident in whatever you’re wearing and own it.
6. Favorite trend for the up-coming Fall 2017? Fun and colorful standout leather jackets – I can’t wait to bring back my old leather jackets with a new twist and add some colorful designs.
7. Congrats on the success of your business – since graduating from The University of Michigan you have planted roots in NYC – do you miss Ann Arbor? What did you love most about the community or campus? I really miss Ann Arbor. I especially miss the culture and constantly being inspired by both my peers and professors. I also miss Zingerman’s!
8. Do you often travel for work? What is your favorite place you have traveled to? I travel a lot for work, and am lucky to have the opportunity to see new places through my job. I really loved visiting California, and Los Angeles in particular. During my trip, I was constantly inspired by the colorful scenery and surroundings. The fashion and culture on the West Coast is so different from my new roots in NYC. My experiences through my travels have helped to shape and inspire my designs.
9. Where do you want to travel to next? The next place I would love to visit is The Hamptons. Growing up in Florida, I really miss the beach lifestyle.
10. Tell us about your various business collaborations – is there someone or a company you would love to collaborate with next? Although I have had the opportunity to collaborate with many companies at this point in my career, I recently collaborated with SoulCycle and created custom artwork for their clothing. It was an amazing experience to be able to see customers get so excited about my work and wear my designs. Hmm.. There are so many companies that I would want to collaborate with next.
11. Local love list… a few local boutiques or places you love in your neighborhood? I love shopping at Bloomingdale’s 59th street, in New York City, they always seem to have so many options and cater perfectly to my style. My favorite shoe store is definitely Steve Madden, they have all of the hottest shoes for every occasion.
12. Favorite coffee spots or places to eat? My favorite coffee spot is Birch Coffee, I go there at least once a day, so you can definitely spot me there! My favorite food is pizza. Rubirosa has the absolute best – I once ate it four days in a row, no joke.
13. Is there something in your style that is always consistent? I am always wearing my designs, whether they are on my shoes, phone, jacket, bag, ect.
14. Where do you find fashion + style inspiration? I find my inspiration through social media, specifically Instagram, where my business evolved. I am constantly inspired by my customers. Each design is specific to their interests and style, and I really try to connect with them in order to create a design they will love!
15. Fashion Magazine or Fashion Blog? Fashion Blog- My favorite is definitely Who What Wear.
16. How did your business take off while being a student? I started drawing on sneakers while in high school. In college, I studied art and design with a minor in business, which helped me to grow as both an artist and grow the by Jordana brand.
17. How has your business grown since graduation? I launched a retail line, which I sell through my website, byjordana.com, and at retail stores throughout the country.
18. Who inspires you in the business world? My parents inspire me. They are both very creative and entrepreneurial and have pushed me to follow my dreams.
19. “Pump up Jam” or music currently listening to on your personal playlist? Country hits on Spotify! No joke.
20. Favorite quote or words to live by? “Life is short, buy the shoes.”
Follow Jordana and her by Jordana brand on Instagram @by_jordana