SEEN sat down with the creative, cool and kind Hillary Sawchuk, founder and brains behind A Drink With.
By Rachel Schostak
1. Can you share a bit about your professional background and career path? I went to school for journalism at Oakland University and interned in the broadcast and multi-media department with the Detroit Pistons and in the sports department at WDIV. I took a job in sales in Chicago after college because I never was hired as a reporter! After a few years of cold-calling and sitting in a cubicle 9-to-5, I realized I was going to have to create something on my own if no one wanted to hire me. I started A Drink With when I was 24 years old and haven’t looked back — of course having to learn everything the hard way the entire time.
2. What inspired you to start A Drink With? Some of the most meaningful relationships and moments in my 20s happened over a drink. You connect with someone, celebrate and let your guard down over a drink. Whether it’s a coffee or beer, the best stories are told in those intimate settings.
3. Can you share some of your career highlights? Any moments you are most proud of? I am most proud of some of the brand partnerships I’ve sold and produced including a series with the modern furniture and home décor store CB2 and the car sharing app Maven. Coming back to Detroit and interviewing Dan Gilbert was also a highlight!
4. Tell us about one of your favorite episodes? Vodka with Chelsea Handler in the green room on set of her Netflix show was a drink I won’t forget!
5. Who’s next on your list to have a drink with? I’d really love to have a drink with Mary Barra, the CEO of GM.
6. If you could go back in time and have a drink with anyone in history, who would it be? Joan Rivers.
7. What’s your favorite drink? And best drink you’ve ever had during interview? Coca-Cola in a glass bottle brings me joy! The best drink I’ve had in an interview had to be a dirty martini with blue cheese stuffed olives.
8. Cocktail or wine at 5 p.m.? Sparkling water. I crush about five cans a day.
9. Who inspires you in the business world or your specific industry? Bethenny Frankel
Your Local Love List…
10. When not working where can we find you? My cottage in Northport, Michigan!
11. Current “go-to” for breakfast, lunch or dinner? Wright & Company
12. Current go-to for a good cocktail? Candy Bar
13. What do you love most about our community? I love how there is a shared mission to shine a light on all of the positive things happening in the city of Detroit.
Now on to your style…
14. Three words to describe your style? Simple, effortless and classic.
15. You can never leave home without…Sunglasses.
16. You’re never fully dressed without? My leather jacket.
17. Who is your style icon? Victoria Beckham
18. Who or what inspires your style? I’ve been loving Catt Sadler’s style lately!
19. Where do you enjoy shopping locally? I love the Detroit sweatshirts and tees at City Bird in Midtown.
20. Favorite quote or words to live by? Thoughts become things!
Read more about A Drink With in SEEN’s July issue.