Ariel Taub merged her passion for fashion and theater into a business that creates custom wedding veils.
Wedding veil designer Ariel Taub is the only designer who handcrafts veils with Swarovski crystals in Michigan. She attended the University of Michigan, where she received a bachelor’s degree in art history. She then attended Parsons the New School for Design in New York City, where she received an associate’s degree in fashion design. SEEN asked Taub to share how she started designing veils with Swarovski crystals, where she finds inspiration and more.
1. Tell us more about you. I am 31 years old, and I currently live in Ann Arbor. I have been married for a year and a half to my wonderful husband Drew. I have two older sister’s Carrie and Melissa. I have four wonderful nieces and nephews: Jacob, Sophia, Hadley and Bryce. My parents are Gaye and Alan Taub. My family has been the most supportive people in my life and career.
2. Can you share a bit about how you got started in bridal design? While at U of M, my sister Melissa was getting married. Since I had been dabbling in fashion, she asked if I would make a veil for her wedding. It was such a fun process; I took a pattern from her dress and created a design with Swarovski crystals on her cathedral veil. My sister was my first bride. At that time I loved bridal, but still wasn’t sure which direction in fashion I wanted to go. While at Parson’s I fell in love with high fashion and theater, and realized that bridal was the perfect blend. I remembered that day I made my sister’s wedding veil and loved being such an important part in someone’s life. After graduating from Parsons, I moved back to Michigan and decided I would try starting my own business in bridal design, and I haven’t looked back since.
3. What stores are your items currently sold at? The products are currently available in over 20 stores located throughout the United States as well as internationally— Kleinfeld Bridal in New York City, all the way to Chasing Bridal in China. You can also find the collection at the following Michigan bridal salons:
- Beautiful Bridal in Detroit
- Bianka Bridal in Grand Rapids
- Crowning Glory Bridal Accessories in Rochester
- L’Amour Bridal in Farmington Hills
- Roma Sposa in Birmingham
- The Dress Shop in Howell
To view all store locations visit www.arieltaub.com.
4. Where do you find your inspiration for your pieces? I actually do reverse inspiration for my pieces. I love to flip through magazines and look at social media to find what has not been done in bridal. I want to think outside the box and try to create pieces that brides would want, but could never have before. I also use the materials to find inspiration, through manipulation and playing with Swarovski crystals.
5. Do you have a classic piece from each collection that sells the most, or is it all custom? Since everything is made in Michigan, anything can be customized to a bride’s vision. However, there are classic pieces from each collection. The veil that grabs everyone’s attention from my couture veil collection is the Ambrosia veil. This veil has over 15,000 hand-placed Swarovski crystals, with a double-sided crystal blusher. However, the most popular pieces from the couture veil collection is the Dream and Drew veil. The Dream veil is a two-tier circular cathedral veil, with double-sided Swarovski crystals, which are placed at the top of your head, fading down the back providing a reverse ombre effect. The Drew is a fingertip cascade veil with a single row individually placed Swarovski crystal border. For the classic veil collection, almost all of the veils are top sellers. All of these veils in the collection retail under $900. If I had to pick one, the most popular style is the Chelsea veil. The Chelsea is a handkerchief style waltz length veil that will flatter any style dress.
From the other collections, our Ever After clutch is one of our most popular clutches. These hard-shell clutches are adorned with Swarovski crystals, creating the text “Bride” and is available in a variety of colors. Our Emilia sash is also very popular as it is our most versatile piece. This is a narrow organza ribbon adorned with my signature crystal work. It can be worn as a choker, hairpiece, sash or even straps. The organza ribbon allows the piece to blend in with your gown, providing the illusion that the crystals are placed directly on the gown.
6. How do you turn your client’s dream ideas into reality? Since any piece can be customized, I can make any dream come true.
7. Can you share one of your most favorite projects/pieces you’ve recently worked on? That would have to be the accessories from my wedding. I created my wedding veil, which I later put into my collection called Eternity, which had thousands of Swarovski crystals, as well as two sashes, my hairpiece and clutches for my bridesmaids. It was so much fun after years creating these pieces for other brides’ weddings to finally be able to do it for mine.
8. How do you find balance while owning your own business? That is probably one of the most difficult things running your own business — balance. My family, however, is where I truly find my balance and unwind. I also love going for walks. When I go for my walks I try not to take my phone during that time so I can truly detach for a few minutes.
9. Who inspires you in the bridal industry? Monique Lhuillier.
Your Local Love List:
11. Are you a native Detroiter? What do you love most about our community? I was born in upstate New York; however, I grew up in Michigan. I moved here when I was 7. The thing I love most about the community is the support. There is such a great support team here such as this magazine and Detroit Garment Group. It really is a great place to own a business.
Now onto your personal style…
14. Three words to describe your style? Chic, modern, trendy.
15. One item you can’t leave home without… Cell phone.
16. You’re never fully dressed without…? My rings.
17. Your most cherished item in your wardrobe/closet? Jackets.
18. Do you have a style icon? Who? Rachel Zoe.
19. Who or what inspires your style? Comfort and anything black or leather.
20. Favorite quote or words to live by? “Don’t let anyone ever dull your sparkle.” -Anonymous
Read more about Ariel Taub and her incredible wedding veils and bridal accessories in our February 2018 SEEN wedding issue. You can also follow her on Instagram @arieljennifertaub and check out her website arieltaub.com.